Dr. Sergi Santos – CV
Education and Qualifications
|PhD||PhD in Bio and Nanosciences
Faculty of Biological Sciences and School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, 2011.
Thesis title: Dynamic Atomic Force Microscopy and applications in biomolecular imaging (supervisor Dr. Neil H. Thomson).
|Masters||MSc Nanoscale Science and Technology graduated with Distinction;
University of Sheffield/University of Leeds, UK, 2007.
|Post Graduate||Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE): Secondary Mathematics
University of Manchester, UK, 2005
|Bachelors||B. Eng. (Hons. – Electronics)
UPC Universitat Politectinca de Catalunya, Spain, 2003
B. Eng. (Hons. – Avionics)
University of Wales, UK, 2002 (single Sandwich year)
|Selected Certifications||Next generation sequencing (NGS), National Institute of Health NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA, 2014
Clinical Proteomics and Biomarker Discovery, National Institute of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD, USA, 2014
Metagenomics Bench to Data Analysis (Award), The Genome Analysis Centre, Norwich, UK, 2014
Statistical Analysis of Real-time PCR , TATAA Biocentre, 2014
Epigenetics, National Institute of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD, USA, 2014
Clinical Proteomics and Biomarker Discovery, National Institute of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD, USA, 2014
Qualified Teaching Status, Manchester University, UK, 2005
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, Chester College, Chester, UK, 2004
Cisco Networking Administrator (CCNA), North Wales, UK, 2004
Bachelors Thesis – 2002:
- Thesis title: Subsonic WIND TUNNEL: Data acquisition and processing, including
- Electronic design for data acquisition
- Modelling of wind tunnel physical parameters for adequate data acquisition
- Implementation of the data acquisition module and interpretation for real case systems
MSc nanotechnology: Graduated with DISTINCTION in 2007:
Generic methodologies for nanotechnology
- Inorganic semiconductor nanostructures
- Nanoscale magnetic materials and devices
- Processing and properties of inorganic nanomaterials
- Self-assembling nanostructured molecular materials and devices
- Macromolecules at interfaces and structured organic films
- Organic Semiconductors
- Master Thesis: Dip Pen Nanolithography. Thesis title: Molecular Manipulation using Dip Pen Nanolithography
Key IT Skills
I have employed the following skills in most of my research projects and professional career:
- Matlab and Simulink for modeling, analysis and data processing
- Fusion360 for 3D modelling: Design of humanoid system parts from design to product.
- Maple for mathematical analysis and computation of non-trivial expressions
- R programming for data analysis and statistics, exploited in ISI publications for inference, machine learning, unsupervised and supervised learning from real data
- C and C++ for fast computation, exploited in the modelling of a nanoscale cantilever with non-linear interactions and basin of attraction analysis, chaos and induced subharmonics
- Python (scripting, data analysis and processing, etc.), implemented a full humanoid interactive system form basic principle to final product
- Bash (shell scripting) and integration of code from several languages via shell scripts.
- General data science, Natural Language Porcessing and offline exploitation of machine learning tools such as Tensor Flow for speech to text systems, including certificates ranging from bioinformatics to metagenomics
- Arduino-Raspberry applications including domotic development of Solar Platform interacting with Assistents such as Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s assistant.
- Leading developer of the Open Source Platform for an AToM : the NeuMan project platform written in C and python and exploiting OpenAI, Tensor Flow and others.
Scientific Experience and Achievements
- General Artificial Intelligence and Theory of Mind
- Applied mathematics and physics, simulations and mathematical modelling
- Nanotechnology/Biotechnology instrumentation and methodologies:
- Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM), and particularly Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), spectroscopy and Electron Microscopy (EM), nanomanipulation and nanofabrication, molecular and biomolecular physics, single biomolecule-biomolecule and nanostructure interactions
- Surface science, tissue engineering and drug testing, cell phenotype identification, cell differentiation and the related variations in nanomechanics and nanoscale properties, cell biology and antibiotic research
Other COURSES taken over the past 10 years with corresponding completion certificates:
- Data science and data analysis, general statistics, machine learning, statistical inference, and interpretation of experimental results
- Healthcare and the human systems approach in health, with
- Epigenetics, genetics, proteomics, metabolomics, immunology, metagenomics, and bioinformatics
- Founder of the Open Source Platform (NeuMan Project) for a Theory of Mind (2018). Ongoing.
- CEO and developer of first company (we find no data of other credible companies with other than pre-orders or prototypes) to deliver an AI companion robot (August, 2017).
- World-wide recognized controversial thinker and pioneer in the Robot-Human interactions paradigm.
- Invited speaker at life.org.uk, Newcastle UK (talk, June 2018)
- Invited speaker at Pioneers, Vienna (Pioneers talk, May 2018)
- Cofounder of Future-Synthesis AS (2016),a company to develop technology based on my personal idea of creativity, i.e. integration of current technology.
- Postdoctoral fellowship Award (2014) by the Spanish ministry of Economy and Competitiveness at The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia. This award is given based on merits
- Top 3 in the number and impact of publications for an author in the 2009 – 2013 list, UPC, Manresa, Barcelona, Spain
- Marie Curie IF action award 2014: Total score above 90%.
- Marie Curie IEF action candidate: Researcher score: 4.9 out of 5 (98%). Total score 89.7%
- Chairmanat the Materials Research Society (MRS). December 2013, Fall meeting, Boston, USA. Session Title: LL9: SPM on Complex, Multi-functional Materials VI
- Invited Research Scientist fellow at Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC); Barcelona, Spain) in the group of Dr. Fraxedas and in collaboration of the leading Research Scientist Dr. Verdaguer at the Force Probe Microscopy and Surface Nanoengineering group
- Selected paper, January 2012 issue of Virtual Journal of Ultrafast Science by APS (S. Santos, V. Barcons, A. Verdaguer and M. Chiesa, Journal of Applied Physics 110 (11), 114902-114911, 2011
- Selected paper in newsletter Euro Physics News, the magazine of the European Physical Society (K. R. Gadelrab, S. Santos, T. Souier and M. Chiesa, Journal of Physics D 45 (1), 012002-012006, 2012
- Appearance in the Fact sheet of MIST (Masdar Institute, UAE) as one of the ten most relevant scientific contributions or recognitions in the centre, also including, 2011
- Selected paper for a highlight at nanotechweb.org (S. Santos, A. Verdaguer, T. Souier, N. H. Thomson and M. Chiesa, Nanotechnology 22 (46), 465705-465713, 2011
- 2018 – Invited speaker at “Pioneers”, Vienna June 2018
- 2018 – Invited speaker at “Life Centre”, Newcastle, June 2018
- 2018 – Invited speaker at “UAB”, Barcelona, May 2018
- 2017 – Invited Speaker at AI World Forum, Toronto, November 2017.
- 2017 – Showcase my product as the CEO of Synthea Amatus at Artificial Intelligence ARS Electronica Festival, Austria, Linz, September 2017
- 2014 – Speaker at the International conference fifth Multi frequency AFM Title: Phase contrast and anharmoni city in multi frequency AFM. June 2014, Madrid, Spain
- 2013 – Speaker at the Royal Microscopical Society (RMS, UK). Title: Adsorbed water in ambient dynamic atomic force microscopy: Friend of Foe? June 2013, Leeds, UK
- 2012 – Speaker at the Materials Research Society (MRS). Title: Mechanisms and consequences of the presence of sub-harmonic excitation in amplitude modulation atomic force microscopy. December 2012, Fall meeting, Boston, USA
- 2012 – Speaker and Chairman at the International conference Fourth Multifrequency AFM conference. Title: Quantification in ambient amplitude modulation atomic force microscopy. Madrid, Spain. Chairman in the session of “Energy dissipation”
- 2011 – Speaker at the International conference Third Multifrequency AFM conference. Title: Energy dissipation and hydration in atomic force microscopy. March 2011, Madrid, Spain
- 2011 – Speaker at the Materials Research Society (MRS). Title: How localised are energy dissipation processes in the nanoscale? Fall meeting, Boston, USA
List of Publications
- Santos, S.; Amadei, C. A.; Tang, T.-C.; Barcons, V.; Chiesa, M., Deconstructing the governing dissipative phenomena in the nanoscale. arXiv:1401.6587 [cond-mat.mes-hall] 2014.
- Santos, S. and V. Barcons, Anharmonicity in multifrequency atomic force microscopy. arXiv:1407.3165 [cond-mat.mes-hall] 2014.
- Santos, S., Theory of small amplitude bimodal atomic force microscopy in ambient conditions. arXiv:1401.6687 [cond-mat.mes-hall] 2014.
- Matteo Chiesa, Sergio Santos, et al. Direct Measurement of the Magnitude of van der Waals interaction of Single and Multilayer Graphene, submitted, 2018
- Sergio Santos and Matteo Chiesa, Sex, AI and the universal Plan, submitted, 2018
- Sergio Santos and Javier Vazquez, International Robotics & Automation Journal, Volume 3 Issue 2, 2574-8092, 2017.
- S Santos, CY Lai, T Olukan, M Chiesa, Multifrequency AFM: from origins to convergence Nanoscale 9 (16), 5038-5043, 2017
- CY Lai, S Santos, M Chiesa, Systematic multidimensional quantification of nanoscale systems from bimodal atomic force microscopy data, ACS nano 10 (6), 6265-627, 2016
- S Santos, A Verdaguer, Imaging Water Thin Films in Ambient Conditions Using Atomic Force Microscopy, Materials 9 (3), 182, 2016
- A Calò, A Eleta-Lopez, P Stoliar, D De Sancho, S Santos, A Verdaguer, Multifrequency Force Microscopy of Helical Protein Assembly on a Virus, Scientific reports 6, 21899, 2016
- CY Lai, S Santos, M Chiesa, Reconstruction of height of sub-nanometer steps with bimodal atomic force microscopy, Nanotechnology 27 (7), 075701, 2016
- YH Chang, S Santos, M Chiesa, Surface aging phenomena in multidimensional sp2 carbon allotropes, APS Meeting Abstracts, 2016
- CY Lai, S Perri, S Santos, R Garcia, M Chiesa, Rapid quantitative chemical mapping of surfaces with sub-2 nm resolution, Nanoscale 8 (18), 9688-9694, 2016
- S Santos, CY Lai, CA Amadei, KR Gadelrab, TC Tang, A Verdaguer, et al. The Mendeleev–Meyer force project, Nanoscale 8 (40), 17400-17406, 2016
- YH Chang, T Olukan, CY Lai, S Santos, TY Lin, H Apostoleris, J Font, et al. Establishing nanoscale heterogeneity with nanoscale force measurements, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 119 (32), 18267-18277, 2015
- CY Lai, V Barcons, S Santos, M Chiesa, Periodicity in bimodal atomic force microscopy, Journal of Applied Physics 118 (4), 044905, 2015
- F Lo Iacono, N Bologna, MV Diamanti, YH Chang, S Santos, M Chiesa, General Parametrization of Persisting Long-Range Nanoscale Phenomena in Force Measurements Emerging under Ambient Conditions, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 119 (23), 13062-13067, 2015
- A Calò, N Domingo, S Santos, A Verdaguer, Revealing water films structure from force reconstruction in dynamic AFM, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 119 (15), 8258-8265, 2015
- CY Lai, S Santos, M Chiesa, General interpretation and theory of apparent height in dynamic atomic force microscopy, RSC Advances 5 (97), 80069-80075, 2015
- CY Lai, T Olukan, S Santos, A Al Ghaferi, M Chiesa, The power laws of nanoscale forces under ambient conditions, Chemical Communications 51 (99), 17619-17622, 2015
- A Calò, OV Robles, S Santos, A Verdaguer, Capillary and van der Waals interactions on CaF2 crystals from amplitude modulation AFM force reconstruction profiles under ambient conditions, Beilstein journal of nanotechnology 6, 809, 2015
- S An, SD Solares, S Santos, D Ebeling, Energy transfer between eigenmodes in multimodal atomic force microscopy, Nanotechnology 25 (47), 475701, 2014
- NH Thomson, S Santos, LA Mitchenall, T Stuchinskaya, JA Taylor, et al. DNA G-segment bending is not the sole determinant of topology simplification by type II DNA topoisomerases, Scientific reports 4, 6158, 2014
- An, S., Solares, S. D., Santos, S. and Ebeling, D. Energy Transfer between Eigenmodes in Multimodal Atomic Force Microscopy. Nanotechnology Submitted, 2014.
- Lai, C.-Y., Barcons, V., Santos, S & Chiesa, M. Periodicity in bimodal atomic force microscopy. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology Under review, 2014.Corresponding author
- H. Thomson, S. Santos, L. A. Mitchenall, T. Stuchinskaya, J. A. Taylor and A. Maxwell, DNA G-segment bending is not the sole determinant of topology simplification by type II DNA topoisomerases, Nature Scientific reports, Accepted, 2014
- Santos S, Phase contrast and operation regimes in multi frequency atomic force microscopy Applied Physics Letters104 143109-13, 2014.
- Amadei C A, Yang R, Chiesa M, Gleason K K and Santos S Revealing amphiphilicnanodomains of anti-fouling polymer coatings ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces6 4705-12, 2014.
- Santos, S., Barcons, V., Font, J. & Verdaguer, A. Unlocking higher harmonics in atomic force microscopy with gentle interactions. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 5, 268–277, 2014
- Santos, S. Enhanced sensitivity and contrast with bimodal atomic force microscopy with small and ultra-small amplitudes in ambient conditions. Applied Physics Letters 2013,103, 231603-231606.
- Amadei, C. A., Santos, S., Pehkonen, S. O., Verdaguer, A. &Chiesa, M. Minimal Invasiveness and Spectroscopy-Like Footprints for the Characterization of Heterogeneous Nanoscale Wetting in Ambient Conditions. Journal of Physical Chemistry C117, 20819–20825 (2013). Equally contributing author.
- Gadelrab, K.; Santos, S.; Font, J.; Chiesa, M., Single cycle and transient force measurements in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Nanoscale 2013, 5, 10776-10793.
- Amadei, C. A.; Tzu Chieh, T.; Chiesa, M.; Santos, S., The aging of a surface and the evolution of conservative and dissipative nanoscale interactions. The Journal of Chemical Physics 2013, 139, 084708- 084714.
- Santos, S.; Gadelrab, K.; Font, J.; Chiesa, M., Single cycle atomic force microscopy force reconstruction: resolving time dependent interactions. New Journal of Physics 2013, 15, 083034-083053.
- Santos, S.; Barcons, V.; Christenson, H. K.; Billingsley, D. J.; Bonass, W. A.; Font, J.; Thomson, N. H., Stability, resolution and ultra-low wear amplitude modulation atomic force microscopy of DNA: small amplitude small set-point imaging. Applied Physics Letters 2013,103, 063702-063705.
- Santos, S.; Amadei, C. A.; Verdaguer, A.; Chiesa, M., Size Dependent Transitions in Nano scale Dissipation. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013,117 (20), 10615–10622
- Gadelrab, K.; Santos, S.; Chiesa, M., Heterogeneous dissipation and size dependencies of dissipative processes in nanoscale interactions. Langmuir 2013, 29 (7), 2200–2206. Equally contributing author.
- Santos, S.; Billingsley, D. J.; Thomson, N. H., Atomic force microscopy imaging of macromolecular complexes. In Method in Molecular Biology. Nano-imaging: Methods and Protocols, Kruhlak, A. A. S. a. M. J., Ed. Springer: 2013; Vol. 950.
- Santos, S. et al. A method to provide rapid in situ determination of tip radius in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Review of Scientific Instruments83, 043707-043717, 2012. Top 20 Most Read Articles in Review of Scientific Instruments in May 2012.
- Verdaguer, A.; Santos, S.; Sauthier, G.; Segura, J. J.; Chiesa, M.; Fraxedas, J., Water-mediated height artifacts in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2012, 14 (14).
- Santos, S.; Gadelrab, K.; Barcons, V.; Stefancich, M.; Chiesa, M., Quantification of dissipation and deformation in ambient atomic force microscopy. New Journal of Physics 2012, 14, 073044.
- Santos, S.; Gadelrab, K.; Barcons, V.; Font, J.; Stefancich, M.; Chiesa, M., The additive effect of harmonics on conservative and dissipative interactions. Journal of Applied Physics 2012,112 (12), 124901-124908.
- Chiesa, M.; Gadelrab, K.; Verdaguer, A.; Segura, J. J.; Barcons, V.; Thomson, H. N.; Phillips, M. A.; Stefancich, M.; Santos, S., Energy dissipation due to sub-harmonic excitation in dynamic atomic force microscopy. EPL 2012, 99 56002-56007. (Equally contributing author).
- Chiesa, M.; Gadelrab, K.; Stefancich, M.; Armstrong, P.; Li, G.; Souier, T.; Thomson, N. H.; Barcons, V.; Font, J.; Verdaguer, A.; Phillips, M. A.; Santos, S., Investigation of Nanoscale Interactions by Means of Sub-harmonic Excitation. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 2012, 3 (16), 2125–2129. (Equally contributing author).
- Souier, T.; Santos, S.; Ghaferi, A.; Stefancich, M.; Chiesa, M., Enhanced electrical properties of vertically aligned carbon nanotube-epoxy nanocomposites with high packing density. Nanoscale Research Letters 2012, 6 (1), 630.
- Santos, S.; Verdaguer, A.; Chiesa, M., Measuring the apparent height of nanostructures in the presence of adsorbed water layers: water perturbations and attractive to repulsive transitions. Journal of Chemical Physics 2012,137, 044201-044214.
- Barcons, V.; Verdaguer, A.; Font, J.; Chiesa, M.; Santos, S., Nanoscale capillary interactions in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2012,116 (14), 7757–7766. (Equally contributing author).
- Santos, S.; Thomson, H. N., Atomic Force Microscopy of Isolated Nanostructures: Biomolecular Imaging in Hydrated Environments–Status and Future Prospects. In Scanning probe microscopy in nanoscience and nanotechnology 2, Bhushan, B., Ed. Springer Berlin Heidelberg: 2012; pp 99-135.
- Santos, S.; Gadelrab, K. R.; Silvernail, A.; Armstrong, P.; Stefancich, M.; Chiesa, M., Energy dissipation distributions and atomic dissipative processes in the nanoscale in dynamic atomic force microscopy Nanotechnology 2012,23 (12), 125401-125412
- Font, J.; Santos, S.; Verdaguer, A.; Barcons, V.; Thomson, H. N.; Chiesa, M., Spatial horizons in amplitude and frequency modulation atomic force microscopy. Nanoscale 2012, 4 (7), 2463-2469. (Equally contributing author).
- Santos S., Gadelrab K.R., Souier T., Stefancich M. and Chiesa M. (2012) Quantifying dissipative contributions in nanoscale interactions. Nanoscale4, 792-800.
- Santos S., Stefancich M., Hernandez H., Chiesa M. and Thomson N.H. (2012) Thehydrophilicity of a single DNA molecule. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C116, 2807–2818.
- Gadelrab K.R., Santos S., Souier T. and Chiesa M. (2012) Disentangling viscous and hysteretic components in dynamic nanoscale interactions Journal of Physics D45, 012002-012006 (Equally contributing author).
- Souier T., Li G., Santos S., Stefancich M. and Chiesa M. (2012) Conductive scanning probe microscopy of nanostructured Bi(2) Te (3). Nanoscale4, 600-606.
- Souier, T., Santos, S., Gadelrab, K., Al Ghaferi, A. &Chiesa, M. Identification and quantification of the dissipative mechanisms involved in CNTs radial permanent deformation Journal of Physics D45, 335402-335408 (2012). Equally contributing author.
- Santos S., Verdaguer A., Souier T., Thomson H.N. and Chiesa M. (2011) Measuring the true height of water layers in the nanoscale. Nanotechnology22, 465705-465713.
- Santos S., Barcons V., Verdaguer A. and Chiesa M. (2011) Sub-harmonic excitation in AM AFM in the presence of adsorbed water layers. Journal of Applied Physics110, 114902-114911
- Santos S., Barcons V., Verdaguer A., Font J., Thomson N.H. and Chiesa M. (2011) How localized are energy dissipation processes in the nanoscale?Nanotechnology22, 345401-345407
- Santos S., Barcons V., Christenson H.K., Font J. and Thomson N.H. (2011) The intrinsic resolution limit in the atomic force microscope: implications for heights of nano-scale features. PLoS ONE6, e23821.
- Santos S. 2011 (Dynamic Atomic Force Microscopy and applications in biomolecular imaging). Faculty of Biological Sciences, (Leeds: University of Leeds), PhD thesis.
- Santos S. and Thomson N.H. (2011) Energy dissipation in a dynamic nanoscale contact. Applied Physics Letters98, 013101-013103.
- Santos, S.; Thomson, N. H., High resolution imaging of Immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies and other biomolecules using amplitude modulation atomic force microscopy in air. Humana Press: New York, 2011; Vol. 736.
- Santos, S., Barcons, V., Font, J. & Thomson, N. H. Bi-stability of amplitude modulation AFM in air: deterministic and stochastic outcomes for imaging biomolecular systems. Nanotechnology 21, 225710-225720 (2010
- Santos, S. et al. How localised are energy dissipation processes in the nanoscale? .Nanotechnology22, 345401-345407, 2011. Includes top most downloaded articles of the month, top highlights of 2011 in Nanotechnology and cover of the 2011 Highlights issue of Nanotechnology
- Santos, S., Barcons, V., Font, J. & Thomson, N. H. Cantilever dynamics in amplitude modulation AFM: continuous and discontinuous transitions. J. Phys. D: Appl.Phys. 43, 2010.